Stern is poised for significant growth and seeks to add a Head of Operations to its executive leadership team to drive revenue and profitability through strategic planning and the operational management of the Company’s Speakers (Speakers) and Public Relations (PR) units including marketing, finance, HR, IT, legal and administration. Stern currently employs a total of 30 full and part-time staff. The Head of Operations will work collaboratively with the Managing Director of Speakers and two Senior VPs of PR on development and execution of strategies to profitably grow the business. The ideal Head of Operations candidate will embrace Stern’s core values and culture, a hallmark of the organization’s 35-year success, possess superb business acumen and a sound understanding of strategies to help grow consultative practices, preferably in consulting and/or communications/marketing businesses and be a visionary change agent who understands the difference between short-term trendy ideas and long-term sustainable capabilities. It is anticipated that the Head of Operations will collaborate, complement and partner with the senior management team in setting and driving organizational and operational strategy.
The Head of Operations must view both of the two Stern “sister” agencies as being their own unique operations, maintaining the different flavor of both entities’ separate yet compatible cultures due to the distinct nature of the two units’ separate client bases, the talents /skill sets required of their respective employees and business models/procedures.
- Evaluate and drive business practices to optimize processes in finance, HR, IT and administration in conjunction with appropriate staff
- Spearhead annual budget creation in collaboration with managers and external accountants balancing competitive market pricing parameters with increasing margins and profitability
- Assess monthly financial performance, account-by account profitability, and cash flow compared to budget and prior year and implement changes to annual forecast as appropriate
- Manage company costs with a sensitivity towards client service and employee morale
- Provide management oversight of Stern’s internal and external teams in the areas of HR, administration, IT, accounting and legal
- Coach and mentor direct reports to improve performance and optimize/expand their capabilities
- Participate in select staff performance reviews
- Work cross-functionally and keep up to date with industry, regulatory and technological changes that impact the business
Business Strategy and Marketing Responsibilities:
The following includes a depth of marketing knowledge we would wish to find in our ideal candidate but recognize that this desire may not be achievable
- Develop short- and long- range business plans to support growth goals and seize market shifts and opportunities for Speakers and PR
- Strong project management skills with the ability to administer multiple projects simultaneously, prioritize workload and effectively manage resources
- Actively assist in the development and execution of marketing plans to achieve the company’s strategic business goals; know how to measure the success of marketing and creative campaigns across the business units
- Consider ways to reap increased value from HubSpot (CRM software) usage for the PR business
- Assess the level and value of analytics reporting in agency outbound and inbound marketing efforts
- Serve as a sounding board for PR’s two SVPs on internal/external matters
- Contribute to enhancement and effectiveness of new business presentations for PR to increase “wins.”
- Participate in networking events geared toward potential marketing/communications prospects
- Be a constant and dependable role model for Stern’s core values
- Position relevant degree (for example, Business Administration, Finance, Accounting, etc.)
- At least 10 years of demonstrated experience in leading business operations through an ever-changing industry landscape requiring business strategy and change management acumen
- Proven track record of innovative thinking and problem-solving in a highly collaborative environment
- Proven track record of outstanding performance leading the human resources, finance, operations and business strategy departments as part of the executive management team—preferably in consulting, marketing or communications fields.
- Proven track record scaling the operations of a growing organization and strategic collaboration with senior leadership and a CEO
- Outstanding interpersonal, verbal and written skills and demonstrated track record of effective problem-solving and prudent decision-making
Generous PTO, Flex Place, Medical with HSA, Life Insurance, Short-term Disability, Long-term Disability, Dependent Care FSA, 401k and more.
This job description is intended to convey information essential to understanding the scope of the above position and it is not intended to be an exhaustive list of skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities or working conditions associated with the position. This description is an outline of the major recurring responsibilities of the job. Other related job objectives, special assignments and less significant responsibilities typically performed by the incumbent are not included.
HOW TO APPLY
Ready to knock our socks off? Our future is bright and with us, so is your career. We’re excited to review your application!
Please submit your cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please also share how you learned of the opportunity.
If you need help applying for this role during any phase of the application, interview, or employment process, please contact us and every reasonable effort will be made to accommodate your needs in a timely manner