Stern Strategy Group, headquartered in Iselin, NJ, is poised for significant, organic growth and seeks to add a Principal to the executive leadership team of its Speakers and Advisory division. Stern’s Speakers division represents a roster of speakers whose work is a significant driver of worldwide innovation and global thinking. The Principal will likewise possess a global mindset that drives innovation and thought leadership. Reporting to the owner, the successful candidate will work collaboratively with the owner and other key stakeholders of Stern Strategy Group, to help shape, guide, and execute company strategies that measurably grow an already successful speakers’ bureau and advisory practice to the next level. The ideal candidate will embrace Stern’s core values and culture which emphasize the long-term interests of our clients who are the Speakers and Advisors They will possess superb business acumen and a superior ability to negotiate and close revenue-significant agreements with both speakers and company clients. They will have vision with actionable imaginative ideas and demonstrable experience in the successful execution of innovative strategies. The successful candidate will be decisive and accountable for results and have the ability to deliver exceptional brand promise and industry differentiation for Stern Speakers and Advisory. This position provides tremendous growth potential and advancement and affords an opportunity to work with all our world-renowned speakers as we partner with them in generating advisory engagements.
Scope & Impact
- Developing and strengthening strategically significant business relationships with current and prospective speakers and company clients.
- Partnering effectively with the owner and other company leaders to help run the Advisory and Speakers’ bureau business.
- Committing to fully learning the range of advisory services and speakers in order to successfully position them as uniquely qualified to provide value to the leading companies and trade groups of the world.
- Displaying unquestionable integrity and credibility to consistently maintain a high-level of client and speaker loyalty through engagement, delivering value, and building trust.
- Aligning growth strategy with organization’s resources and talent required for outstanding implementation.
- Engaging directly in the resolution of business management challenges and strategy execution in all areas of the agency, especially marketing and sales.
- Serving as a role model to others to improve performance and optimizing for broader and deeper speaker and client company engagement.
- Excelling in tactfully and firmly negotiating, securing, and closing speaking engagements and advisory contracts. Oversee accurate preparation of contractual documents for domestic and international events.
- Explore and effectively leverage company technologies, including HubSpot (CRM).
- Setting agreed-upon targets for achieving growth through new business development while also leveraging existing relationships and booked engagements for on-going profitability and growth.
- Demonstrating strong project management skills with the ability to run multiple projects simultaneously, prioritize workload and manage resources.
- When deemed appropriate, collaborating with the agencies’ owner and executive leadership team to devise a business strategy and scorecard focused on global innovation and growth. This requires the ability to seize market shifts and align the agency’s Speakers and Advisory talent with emerging opportunities.
Experience & Education
- Position relevant degree (for example, Business Administration, etc.)
- Graduate degree
- 5 – 10 years of demonstrated experience in an executive leadership role e.g., management consulting.
- Proven track record of strategy development, innovation breakthroughs, and market positioning, problem-solving in a highly collaborative environment.
- Hands-on experience leading a growing services organization.
- Proven track record of effective negotiation skills with measurable positive revenue outcomes.
Interpersonal & Leadership
- Reputation as an outstanding performer as part of an executive management team in a company with service offerings, e.g., a top-tier strategy consulting firm, innovation incubator or macro-trend analytics firm.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills — high EQ. A talented verbal and written communicator, coupled with prudent decision-making. Ability to simplify and explain complex ideas to diverse audiences — a synthesizer.
- A passion for coaching and leading others to successful performance.